Wednesday, April 15, 2020


Reflections from Knowing God by J.I. Packer. Chapter 12 is "The Love of God"
 "To know God's love is indeed heaven on earth." 

I think that is why Paul prays in Ephesians 3 that we will know the lenght, height, breadth, and width of the love of God. 
Packer notes that "the regular ministry of the Spirit is to instill the knowledge of the love of God on our hearts."

The love of God is one of the most often talked about, yet least understood, topics of scripture. "God is love" is not the complete truth about God so far as the Bible is concerned, but it is the complete truth about God so far as the Christian is concerned.

Packer's definition of God's love does not read like a Hallmark card, but it is spot on theologically:
"God's love is an exercise of his goodness toward individual sinners whereby, having identified himself with their welfare, he has given his Son to be their Savior, and now brings them to know and enjoy him in a covenant relation."

I encourage you to break down the various parts of that definition and meditate on them. I'll note three things about the God who loves us: He is personal, He is empathetic, and He wants to be known and enjoyed.

The key point of the chapter is found in the reminder that when we want to know and consider the love of God, then we are not to look at our external circumstances, but rather we are to look at the Cross of Christ. "The cross is the crowning proof of the reality of God's love."

Packer closes the chapter with some probing questions. If these things are true then...
Why do i ever grumble and show discontent and resentment at the circumstances in which God has placed me? 
Why am I ever distrustful, fearful or depressed?
Why do I ever allow myself to grow cool, formal and halfhearted in the service of the God who loves me so?
Why do I ever allow my loyalties to be divided, so that God has not all my heart?

The God of scripture speaks to us of the love of God. We are not alone. Through Christ God's wisdom confounds the wise of this world. Jesus is the Word made flesh and the Word of God written is how we know who Jesus is. He is with us. 

Pastor Bob and I are also available meet and pray with you on the phone, if not in person. Please feel free to contact us at any time with prayer requests or if you want to simply talk.

Tom May 770 503-6995
Bob Borger 706 671-5564

No comments: