Wednesday, April 15, 2020

CJ response after a quarrel

I recently hear this in a sermon by CJ Mahaney (Cravings and Conflicts)

The text is James 4:1-2. in the sermon CJ says…– I had a quarrel with my wife and became generally aware of my sin- pride, anger, bitterness…so I said to her…

“Carolyn, I am aware in general that in attitude and speech I have sinned against you, but I am not sufficiently convicted. I could as a matter of procedure ask you to forgive me right now, but to my shame what I’m sure is obvious to you is not obvious to me. According to James 2:1-2 this is worse than I think so to ask for forgiveness right now would be premature. I need time to examine my heart and to seek God’s evaluation of my sin and of what just took place. As I prayed I saw it was worse than I thought.”


I don’t know about you but I think that is very powerful – powerfully frightening because I hear that and know that I should be so open, vunlerable and honest, but it is scary. Once we read this we can never again tell ourselves, “I just don’t know the right words to use to go to my wife, co-worker, child, parent, fellow church member, etc.”
CJ Mahaney has given us a great approach What it requires is faith in Christ and the power of the gospel so that we’re willing to honestly face our own sin.

No comments: