Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Psalm 119

April 12, 2017

I've been spending a lot of devotional time in Psalm 119 this year.
I'm struck by two things:
1- the "practices" that the Psalmist engages in as he walks with God. He is intentional about "walking, keeping, seeking, delighting in, treasuring" God's Word, Commandments, and His Ways.
2- how often he appeals to God for an inner work in his own heart - he is seeking God's help, enlightening, comfort, etc.

I'm not a "God helps those who help themselves" theologian, but nor am I a "let go and let God" kind of guy. There is a mystery to sanctification as we consider the inner work of God and the disciplines or means of Grace.
While there is no neat formula on how those aspects relate, it is clear to me that they do.

I've taken the verses from Psalm 119 that relate to those two areas and put them side by side. I probably missed some.
Each side could be an aide in our prayer time as we seek God's grace and power for the "practices" and for the "appeals".

Wed pm Men’s Group  4/12/17

Practices from Psalm 119

How blessed are those whose way is blameless,
Who walk in the law of the Lord.
2 How blessed are those who observe His testimonies,
Who seek Him with all their heart.
3 They also do no unrighteousness;
They walk in His ways.
 shall give thanks to You with uprightness of heart,
When I learn Your righteous judgments.
8 I shall keep Your statutes;

With all my heart I have sought You;
Do not let me wander from Your commandments.
11 Your word I have treasured in my heart,
That I may not sin against You.
I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies,
As much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate on Your precepts
And regard Your ways.
16I shall delight in Your statutes;
I shall not forget Your word.

24 Your testimonies also are my delight;
They are my counselors.
30 I have chosen the faithful way;
I have placed Your ordinances before me.
31I cling to Your testimonies;
O Lord, do not put me to shame!

47 I shall delight in Your commandments,
Which I love.
48 And I shall lift up my hands to Your commandments,
Which I love;
And I will meditate on Your statutes.
52 I have remembered Your ordinances from of old, O Lord,
And comfort myself.
54Your statutes are my songs
In the house of my pilgrimage.
55O Lord, I remember Your name in the night,
And keep Your law.

56This has become mine,
That I observe Your precepts.
60 I hastened and did not delay
To keep Your commandments.
61The cords of the wicked have encircled me,
But I have not forgotten Your law.
62At midnight I shall rise to give thanks to You
Because of Your righteous ordinances.
63 I am a companion of all those who fear You,
And of those who keep Your precepts.

92 If Your law had not been my delight,
Then I would have perished in my affliction.
93I will never forget Your precepts,
For by them You have revived me.

97 O how I love Your law!
It is my meditation all the day.
100I understand more than the aged,
Because I have observed Your precepts.
101 I have restrained my feet from every evil way,
That I may keep Your word.
102 I have not turned aside from Your ordinances,
For You Yourself have taught me.

112 I have inclined my heart to perform Your statutes
Forever, even to the end.
113 I hate those who are double-minded,
But I love Your law.
114 You are my hiding place and my shield;
I wait for Your word.

127Therefore I love Your commandments
Above gold, yes, above fine gold.
128Therefore I esteem right all Your precepts concerning everything,
I hate every false way.

147 I rise before dawn and cry for help;
I wait for Your words.
148My eyes anticipate the night watches,
That I may meditate on Your word.

164 Seven times a day I praise You,
Because of Your righteous ordinances.
166 I hope for Your salvation, O Lord,
And do Your commandments.
167 My soul keeps Your testimonies,
And I love them exceedingly.
168 I keep Your precepts and Your testimonies,
For all my ways are before You.

 Appeals to God’s Work Psalm 119

5 Oh that my ways may be established
To keep Your statutes!
10 With all my heart I have sought You;
Do not let me wander from Your commandments.

12 Blessed are You, O Lord;
Teach me Your statutes.
17 Deal bountifully with Your servant,
That I may live and keep Your word.
18 Open my eyes, that I may behold
Wonderful things from Your law.

29 Remove the false way from me,
And graciously grant me Your law.
33 Teach me, O Lord, the way of Your statutes,
And I shall observe it to the end.
34 Give me understanding, that I may observe Your law
And keep it with all my heart.
35 Make me walk in the path of Your commandments,
For I delight in it.
36 Incline my heart to Your testimonies
And not to dishonest gain.
37 Turn away my eyes from looking at vanity,
And revive me in Your ways.

38 Establish Your word to Your servant,
As that which produces reverence for You.
39 Turn away my reproach which I dread,

71 It is good for me that I was afflicted,
That I may learn Your statutes.
73 Your hands made me and fashioned me;
Give me understanding, that I may learn Your commandments.
88 Revive me according to Your lovingkindness,
So that I may keep the testimony of Your mouth.

107 I am exceedingly afflicted;
Revive me, O Lord, according to Your word.
116 Sustain me according to Your word, that I may live;
And do not let me be ashamed of my hope.
117 Uphold me that I may be safe,
That I may have regard for Your statutes continually.

124 Deal with Your servant according to Your lovingkindness
And teach me Your statutes.
133 Establish my footsteps in Your word,
And do not let any iniquity have dominion over me.
134 Redeem me from the oppression of man,
That I may keep Your precepts.
135 Make Your face shine upon Your servant,
And teach me Your statutes.

149 Hear my voice according to Your lovingkindness;
Revive me, O Lord, according to Your ordinances.
153 Look upon my affliction and rescue me,
For I do not forget Your law.
154 Plead my cause and redeem me;
Revive me according to Your word.
169 Let my cry come before You, O Lord;
Give me understanding according to Your word.








No comments: