Thursday, May 10, 2012

The "unsocial media"

It's ironic that it's called "Social Media" because in many ways it make people unsocial; that is to say one becomes unsocial to the people we are actually with while we text and tweet to those who are far away. I like and use social media, but as a parent of six kids who went through their teen years when it all started exploding on the scene I've been frustrated. As times it has been hard to have a face to face conversation because the texts kept coming into my child's phone. Even if s/he didn't respond immediately it was a bit distracting.

On the up side of things I love having more instant contact with my grown kids and the ability to follow them and our grand-kids on Facebook and blogs.
Do we control the social media in our lives, or does it control us?
http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/tgc/2012/05/09/justification-by-twitter/

BTW: you can follow me on twitter @parisdawg

No comments: