Monday, June 09, 2008

here are some thoughts from my daughter, Katie, who let me post this.

This past week I was thinking about glorification. I love that on the flyer for RUF summer conference this year it said on one side, "GLORIFICATION", and then on the other side: "Will all that is sad become untrue?" I think that that really captures what living in light of glorification is really about. So as I was thinking about this, I wrote this poem, or free-style blank verse prose poem, or whatever you want to call it.
I thought I'd share.

At the end of it all
there is always more joy than pain,
more gladness than sorrow,
more day than night.
And at the end of it all
everything changes,
but grace remains the same.

The sun rises.
The sun falls.
Rainclouds cover the earth,
and the leaves die again.
Laughter mixes with tears
and forms the beautiful symphony
of existance and of dying.
Confusion bares its teeth
while apathy slivers by.
And day after day
the line of doubt extends.

And I have felt the world
take hold of my slippery mind.
And I have held the hand
of a thousand pretty lies
that all scream the same thing.

But at the end of it all,
the cords of love hold tight.
And so I cease to run.
There is a power greater than me
and it compels me to come;
to come with my sighs,
to come with my wounds,
to come with my bleeding heart.
There is a love that draws me near,
this irrisistable wooing flame.
It breaks my spirit,
and it frees my soul,
and it bids me live again.

At the end of it all,
at the foot of the Cross,
I stand and stand forever.
And at the end there is hope.
And at the end there is rest.
At the end of it all,
I believe.

No comments: